Friday, April 26, 2019

In the Neighborhood of TrueIn the Neighborhood of True by Susan Kaplan Carlton
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A bunch of years ago, I watched a short-lived series about a Jewish girl moving from the North East to the South. She meets a girl named Grace and they become friends. That series awoke my interest in the stories of Jews in the Southern US, so when I saw this book, I wanted to read it. Ruth and her family belong in Atlanta, where her mother grew up, but in the interim, she had moved to New York, married a Jewish man, converted to Judaism, and raised her 3 daughter's as Jews. Ruth is 16, and it's 1959. She gets caught up with the debutante crowd and keeps her Jewishness a secret. Then the synagogue she attends gets bombed, and everything changes.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment