Friday, April 26, 2019

Murder with Fried Chicken and WafflesMurder with Fried Chicken and Waffles by A.L. Herbert
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

After reading a book set in a foreign country, I was glad to read a book set in an area where I lived for over 30 years and could recognize the places mentioned. Mahalia (Halia) owns a soul food restaurant in the DC suburbs. She finds her business partner dead on the kitchen floor, and since the police are running after an incorrect lead, she sets out to find the killer. The mystery itself was good, although a bit rushed at the end, but I had 2 (minor) problems with the book. One was Halia's cousin, Wavonne, and her speech (mild swearing) and actions. At least they were 'in character' but it distracted me from the plot. The other one were small things that a chef would never do, like drop a cast iron pan into a sink full of water. That drove me crazy! ;-) I will probably try to read the rest of the series, but they won't be a priority.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment